13KM | The Ultimate Challenge – Dee Why Beach to Newport Beach
Challenge yourself in Sydney’s most scenic fun run!
Come and be part of the most popular community event on the Northern Beaches, while taking in breathtaking views along our beautiful peninsula. Challenge yourself in Sydney’s most scenic run from Dee Why to Newport.
Feel the electric vibe at the Dee Why Beach race start. With an 800m stretch of sand at the beginning and a couple of hills along the way, this course is a personal challenge for even fit runners. A previous winner said our event is “… a better race than the City2Surf – more challenging, yet fun, friendly and so community oriented”.
The 13km course follows our amazing coastline with spectacular views of more than a dozen beaches. If you prefer, you can join the pack at either Warriewood or Mona Vale (6km and 3km course options for recreational runners, joggers and walkers). All courses finish at Newport Beach where you can join in all the fun of the Finish Festival.
SUPER EARLY BIRD OFFER with FREE POSTAGE ends 28 April
- Adult $65 (Early Bird $55)
- Junior $40 (Early Bird $35)
- Family 30% discount for each person when signing up min. 1 adult & 2 juniors
- Group 10% discount for each person when signing up min. 10 people. 25% Cashback to charity for Teams of 25 or more.
- Virtual Runner $33 for Adult, $20 for Junior (Early Bird $28 and $18 respectively)
Distance: Approximately 13km
Date: Sunday, 25 August 2019
Start time: 8.00am (Please arrive by 7.30am, if possible.)
Start location: Dee Why Beach, The Strand, Dee Why NSW 2099
Finish location: Newport Beach, 394 Barrenjoey Road, Newport NSW 2106
- Red – Serious runners planning to finish in under 60 minutes
- Yellow – Those who plan to finish within 90 minutes
- Green – Casual runners who may need to slow to a walk occasionally
- Blue – Joggers and Walkers (approx 2 and a bit hours to walk) Please start in your allocated start group.
Age Restrictions: The minimum age is 10 years for the 13km course. The 6km and 3km courses have no age restrictions. You can also take prams along the 6km and 3km courses, however you must start at the ‘back of the pack’.
Not Allowed: Sorry, due to beach start, wheelchairs, strollers, bikes, skateboards and dogs are not allowed.
Public Transport: If traveling by public transport, check bus, ferry and train schedules at TRANSPORT NSW. If you have an Opal card, the cost is only $2.70 all day! We recommend the Trip View app to help you get there and back. It provides real-time arrival and departure times
Parking – Getting there:
- Meehan Reserve Carpark – 180 spaces (50m walk)
- Howard Avenue Carpark – 200 spaces (700m walk)
- Dee Why Civic Centre Carpark (at library) – approx 300 spaces (950m walk)
- Plus surrounding streets. Please be considerate to neighbours and keep noise to a minimum
Transport Coming Back: (1) When you arrive at Newport Beach, walk north to the bus stop (Newport Surf Club, Neptune Rd) for a ride back to your car at Dee Why. The 199 bus runs every 15 minutes and the L90 bus runs once every hour. (2) There will also be a Pub2Pub-provided FREE Shuttle Bus to Mona Vale B-Line bus stop, from 10am to 12pm (approx. every 20 mins.). Please bring your Opal card to take the B-Line bus.
- Toilets are located at the surf clubs along the route as well as near the drink stations and at start and finish lines areas.
- There are 4 water stations, located approximately every 3km at South Narrabeen Surf Club, Warriewood, Mona Vale and at the finish line at Newport Surf Club.
Clothes/bags Drop Off: Clothes/bags drop off is available at the start line and will close 15 minutes before the start of the race. All clothes/bags will be taken to Newport Beach for you to collect.
Weather conditions: The event goes ahead, regardless of weather conditions. Please check the Pub2Pub Facebook page on the day before the event for any changes to the start of the race.
Winner Trophies and Prizes: The Top 3 fastest finishers – both female and male – will be awarded Pub2Pub Trophies and each will receive vouchers provided by Brooks ($200 for 1st Place, $150 for 2nd Place, $125 for 3rd Place).
Commemorative Medallions: Our popular collectible medallions provided by major sponsor URM, will be presented to all runners at the Finish Line. This is a great way to mark your achievement of completing your chosen distance in the Pub2Pub Charity Fun Run & Festival.
Loyalty ‘Badges’: For the first time in Pub2Pub history, you can have your race bib custom-printed to acknowledge your ongoing involvement with the Pub2Pub – different badges for participating for 2 years, 5 years and 10 years or more. When you register, just let us know exactly how many times you’ve participated in the Pub2Pub, including this year’s event.
Training tips: Have fun with the training program videos and tip sheets, whatever your level, to help you get through the upcoming race. Click here
Warm-up Partner: An official Training Partner, will be at the 13km Starting Line to get you going with some fun warm-up exercises before your run.
- If you chose to have your Race Kit delivered, your race Bib, timing chip, confirmation letter and any merchandise will be sent via Australia Post to your mailing address. We will start mailing Race Kits from early July. Please allow 7-10 days for delivery.
- For entries received after 9am on Thursday, 15 August, your race Bib can be picked up at Dee Why Surf Club on Saturday, 24 August (10am-3pm) OR at the race start (from 6.45am at Dee Why Beach start).
- Timing chip – The timing chip will start at the moment you cross the electronic mats at the start and stop when you cross the electronic mats at the finish line. Your time DOES NOT start when the gun fires, so there is no need to rush across the start line. Please note that we do not store your card or security details and we have no access to your details.
- Registrations closure – Online entries will remain open until 9pm Saturday 24 August, with Race Kit pick-up available at race start (from 6.45am at Dee Why start). You can also pick-up your Bib at Dee Why Surf Club on Saturday 24 August (10am – 3pm). On-the-spot entries for any of the 3 courses will also be available at Dee Why Surf Club on Saturday 24 August (10am – 3pm). Your Bib will be available for pick-up right there.
- No transfers of entries – Once you have registered you cannot transfer your registration to someone else.
- No refunds – Sorry no refunds, as this is a charity event serving the local community. Please understand that once an entry has been accepted, we are not in a position to provide a refund in case you choose to withdraw from the event or otherwise are unable to attend.
- Beach Running – Yes, only for the 13km course. There is approximately 800m of sand at the start. We try to start the race as close to low tide as possible.
- Hills – There are some exciting and challenging hills including Barrenjoey Road approaching Newport and Warriewood Hill, which is like the Heartbreak Hill in the City2Surf run.
- Finish time events – The running event concludes at 11.00am. After 11.00am, marshals may not be present on the course. Pathways remain open to the public. Celebrate and enjoy all the fun activities at the Finish Festival.
- Start line 13km event – There will be no alternate start line for the 13km event. In case of emergency (i.e. the lagoon breaking its banks) the start line will remain at Dee Why Beach and the course will go via Richmond Avenue to join Pittwater Road. This backup course is slightly longer and is approximately 15km.
- Fundraising closing date – Fundraising will remain open until September 30 following the event.
- Comparison with City2Surf run – The City2Surf is 14km, while the Pub2Pub is 13km.
- Course closure times – the Pub2Pub Course will be progressively closed at the following times after which marshals will no longer be on duty to assist participants. Participants should take care at all times to observe all road safety protocols.
- 9.15am Long Reef to Ocean St Fire station South Narrabeen
- 9.45am Ocean St to Narrabeen Lagoon Bridge
- 10.15am Narrabeen Bridge to Mona Vale Golf Course
- 10.30am Mona Vale to Beaconsfield St Newport
- 11.00am Beaconsfield St to Finish at Newport Beach
Remember, all Pub2Pub course options are meant to be fun and just a little challenging… but the purpose of the whole event is to raise much needed funds for those organisations helping our local community. Enjoy!